Annual Teaching Conference
We look forward to your participation in the 2022 Teaching Conference on Wednesday, September 21st, 2022!
September 21, 2022, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm in-person.
Information and plans will also be shared with incoming graduate students via email.
Please note that the Teaching Conference is a required component of Graduate Orientation and trains you to be a TA at Caltech. It is also a valuable professional development activity as it addresses aspects of professional teaching, mentoring, and communication that are more broadly applicable to your graduate career. All incoming graduate students should plan to participate in the Teaching Conference.
This conference is held annually - please find plentiful resources and information from previous Teaching Conferences here.
The 2022 Teaching Conference has two required components:
1) Complete the online TA Orientation module *before* the start of the Teaching Conference:
"Use this link to self-enroll in the course: https://caltech.instructure.com/enroll/774FGG
This course covers Caltech's teaching policies and introduces you to important concepts and strategies for effective teaching.
Note that the course includes a quiz and a short assignment, both of which must be submitted to receive credit for completion. "
2) Attend the Teaching Conference in-person on September 21st, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm PDT
Check-in for the Teaching Conference will open at 10:00 am PDT. The full schedule will be posted in the online TA Orientation module and emailed to incoming graduate students.
More Resources for Teaching Assistants and Graduate Students Interested in Teaching
Check out the following:
- 2022-23 TA Short Guide to Key Resources: a handy guide to academic and non-academic resources to keep nearby while you are TA'ing
- Remote Teaching at Caltech: resources, guides to technology and tools, many more videos!
- Remote Learning at Caltech: resources, guides to technology and tools
- TA Handbook: an official guide to TA'ing at Caltech.
- Caltech Project for Effective Teaching (CPET): Find out more about CPET, a graduate student-led initiative dedicated to improving Caltech graduate students and post-docs' teaching skills.
- CPET Certificate Programs: Find out more about the CPET Certificate of Interest in University Teaching and the CPET Certificate of Practice in University Teaching.
- E110 Principles of University Teaching and Learning in STEM: This graduate course examines the research on university-level STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) teaching and learning.
- Instructional Technology at Caltech - A Brief Tour for Instructors and TAs: This brief tour highlights Caltech's instructional technology landscape, including (1) Choosing technology in support of learning, (2) the Canvas learning management system, and (3) Other supported tools.
- CTLO K-12 Outreach Approach: An explanation of CTLO's educational outreach approach and priorities, including who our community partners are and how outreach benefits the Caltech community in return.
- CTLO K-12 Outreach Programs: A list of educational outreach programs conducted by CTLO with local K-12 partners that Caltech graduate students may participate in.
- CTLO Outreach Resources: How to develop, fund and implement outreach programs.
- Caltech Educational Outreach YouTube Channel: Mentored high school summer research presentations, elementary classroom lessons, and video STEM demonstrations from CTLO Outreach participants.
- Outreach Interest form: Let CTLO's Outreach team know what your outreach interests are, and sign up to receive our monthly outreach newsletter.
Thank you! The CTLO would like to thank our dedicated team of graduate students, post-docs, staff and faculty who contributed to the 2022 Teaching Conference.